What are the symptoms of Winter Blues?
Seasonal Affective Disorder affects many people in the winter months. Typical symptoms include feelings of depression, lethargy, and a lack of motivation. We’ve put together an easy to follow list of things to do if you’re feeling the winter blues. We have included information from the NHS website as well as the additional infographic below.
6 easy ways to ease the effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Try sitting next to windows while you’re inside. If you can’t do this, try getting a SAD lamp;
- SAD lamp therapy – SAD lamps try to simulate daylight. You can purchase SAD lamps relatively inexpensively from online stores such as amazon.co.uk.
- Try to spend more time outdoors – the easiest way to do this is going for a short walk. Even if you can only take 10 minutes out of your day. It’s better than nothing and it gets you out of the house. Taking a short walk outside also contributes to our next point; exercising regularly.
- Since exercising releases endorphins – commonly nicknamed as the brain’s “feel good” chemicals – it is an effective technique to elevate your mood.
- Eating a well balanced diet – you should try getting enough vitamins and minerals in your diet. Try eating fresh vegetables and healthy fats to boost your mood as well as your immune system. You will be more mentally prepared to deal with negative thoughts if your brain is running efficiently off the fuel you’re providing it.
- Learn relaxation techniques (this one’s my personal favourite!). Try this super simple meditation technique. All you need to do is find a quiet place to sit or lie down, then count your breathing for 5 to 10 minutes. One inhale and one exhale can be counted as 1 breath. If you lose count or your mind wanders, just restart the counting.
Image Source: http://www.accesshealthcareservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Seasonal-Affective-Disorder-Infographic.png
NHS article on Seasonal Affective Disorder: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx